NCENN supports five core capacity themes as shown below. Within each theme area, Sustainable Eastern Ontario supports concrete capacity-building opportunities. We don’t just “talk about capacity.” We help BUILD capacity within organizations by helping or supporting the development of book-keeping practices, fundraising plans or collaborative applications, re-branding efforts, strategic planning and board renewal, policy development, and much more!
The Capacity Check-up helps organizations identify priority action items and may sometimes provide micro grants or financial support to assist in implementing capacity efforts.
Fundraising Plans & Fund Development Strategies
Do you need help raising money? Sustainable Eastern Ontario offers support in fundraising through partnerships, collaborations, and designing customized fundraising plans for organizations. Our Fund Development Strategy examines the “10 Funding Streams” which are 10 different ways that organizations can raise funds. The plan includes details about the 10 streams and priority areas for each organization, as well as next steps and financial considerations.
GreenBooks – a bookkeeping social enterprise for ENGOs
Is data entry getting you down? Are you finding that you spend more time on financial management than environmental programs? Have you had a financial check-up to examine how you manage your books and records? Sustainable Eastern Ontario can help! Our GreenBooks social enterprise is a new book-keeping service for ENGOs to provide data entry, payroll, and other financial support for organizations. This service is offered at the West End Well as part of the Sustainable Capacity Centre.
Other Examples of Capacity Support
Sustainable Eastern Ontario does capacity-building. That means, we help with practical and hands-on solutions to make environmental organizations better. Below are some specific examples of capacity support services:
- Supporting boards in taking a leadership role of their organization or transitioning from a working board to a governance board
- Assisting with policy development and implementation for organizations
- Hiring and managing Executive Directors
- Dealing with difficult HR issues or assisting with hiring best practices and contract development
- Assessing risk for an organization and finding proper supports (legal/insurance)
- Helping organizations develop and implement fundraising strategies
- Upgrading financial management practices through the implementation of a new book-keeping system and/or helping executives better understand financial management and how to work with the books more effectively
- Organizing retreats for organizations
and Capacity Building Workshops.